Thursday, April 3, 2008

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, April is National Poetry month.

In honor of National Poetry Month, here's my very first favorite poem, thanks to Ms. Hamilton, my 7th grade English teacher. In 8th grade, I won some sort of poetry prize. All I remember is that one poem was about war, the other about chewing gum. Who knows.

The opening lines from the Dickinson poem:
Tis so much joy! 'Tis so much joy!
If I should fail, what poverty!
And yet, as poor as I,
Have ventured all upon a throw!
Have gained! Yes! Hesitated so --
This side the Victory!
Visiting the Emily Dickinson home during the UMass Episcopal Youth Event ('93? Geez, I'm old) was awesome. Also, Ms. Hamilton's husband, Ed, is a well-known sculptor and the cathedral is home to the processional cross he made for Bishop Gulick's ordination.

No comments: